Message from the MTC President
Dear Prospective Missionary:
The Provo Missionary Training Center (MTC) serves as a training ground for missionaries as they answer their call from a living prophet and journey out into the world inviting others to come unto Christ.
The MTC is a hallowed place where missionaries experience spiritual, emotional, and intellectual growth as they strengthen their personal relationship with their Heavenly Father, and use the scriptures as their textbooks. Their affinity towards the Savior grows as they understand and apply both the redemptive powers as well as the enabling powers of Christ's atonement in their lives.
Missionaries are representatives of the Lord Jesus Christ and they exemplify this in their dress and conduct. We invite you to visit the dress and grooming standards on the Dress and Grooming website; so that, you come to the MTC prepared with the proper attire. Also study Preach My Gospel to become familiar with the principles of the gospel that you will be teaching Heavenly Father's children.
A mission provides a life changing experience for those whom you will serve; but concurrently, your very nature will change as you serve the Savior's way. May you prepare yourself to understand what it means to become as He is.
President and Sister LeSueur
Frequently Asked Questions
What preparations are necessary before entering the MTC?
Your mission begins when you enter the Missionary Training Center (MTC).
Detailed preparation instructions and guidelines can be found in your call packet. They are also accessible on the Missionary Portal.
- Purchase all required clothing and personal items. Personal time is extremely limited.
- Record the completion of all your required immunizations. A list is included in your call packet and on the Missionary Portal. Missionaries should log in and record when their immunizations have been completed before arriving at the MTC.
- Resolve all health-related matters, including dental and eye examinations and follow-up treatments. (Note: you or those providing for your support must pay for pre-mission medical conditions - including dental, eye care, and immunizations.) If you are unable to complete all necessary medical and dental care prior to entering the MTC, please contact your stake president so he can adjust your MTC arrival date.
- Complete all other assigned tasks.
- Be set apart as a full-time missionary by your stake president. Your setting apart as a missionary is under the direction of your stake president, or in the cases of districts, the mission president (Handbook 1, 4.3.8). It is intended that you are set apart by your stake president before you arrive at the MTC. In the unusual circumstance that it is not possible to be set apart before arriving at the MTC, your stake president may call the MTC at 801-422-2602 (Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time) to determine if it would be appropriate to arrange for you to be set apart by a member of the MTC Presidency. Missionaries or their families cannot make this request.
If you are ill on the day of your arrival, please call the MTC at 801-422-2602 for instructions.
We encourage (but do not require) you to participate in Pre-MTC Training. Click here for more information.
What should I bring to the MTC?
Bring the following when you come to the MTC:
- Items on the mission clothing list sent from the Missionary Department. This is also accessible on the Missionary Portal.
- Soap, towel, and wash cloths.
- Appropriate exercise clothing. (You will typically have five gym periods per week, and only one laundry day.)
- Warm clothing. (If you will be arriving at the Provo MTC between October 1st and April 1st, it is recommended that you bring a coat. If your assigned mission does not require a coat, you may send it home prior to departing the MTC.)
- Current temple recommend
- Money for personal items and, if necessary, transportation from the airport.
- Government-issued photo ID (i.e., driver's license, passport, military ID, etc.). This ID is required by airport authorities.
- Copies of your personal medical and dental insurance cards.
We strongly encourage you to put your name on all clothing, luggage, and other belongings.
Please also note the following:
- You do not need to bring your mission call with you, unless required and communicated to you by your Mission President.
- You do not need to bring a suit or suit coat to the MTC if your mission does not require one.
- You do not need to bring clothes hangers. They take up too much room and add too much weight to luggage. Hangers left by previous missionaries are available.
- If you need to purchase a mobile device (either before your mission or when you arrive at your mission), you will be instructed in your call packet to visit the Missionary Portal. The Missionary Portal contains the instructions and information for those that need to purchase a device.
- All bedding is provided, including pillows. However, you should bring your own towels and wash cloths.
- There is an MTC Store available to current in-residence missionaries. It carries a small selection of book bags and foreign electrical adapters at a wide range of prices. Items change frequently and discounts vary.
What supplies and services does the MTC provide?
The MTC provides for missionaries:
- Room and board (including bedding supplies and meals; excluding towels)
- Training materials
- Laundry facilities (including dry cleaning services)
There is an MTC Store available to current in-residence missionaries. It carries a small selection of book bags and foreign electrical adapters at a wide range of prices. Items change frequently and discounts vary.
You must purchase your own detergent and pay for your own dry cleaning.
You must provide your own spending money for miscellaneous expenses (you will receive a small weekly stipend to help with these purchases):
- Stamps (available at the MTC)
- Essential personal care items, etc.
It is recommended that missionaries have a personal debit or credit card for emergency use, travel, or personal items not covered in their weekly MTC stipend. Check cashing is available at the MTC for US currency only up to $100 USD a day. The MTC does have an automatic teller machine (ATM). Large amounts of cash are discouraged.
What if I am fluent in or speak some of my mission language?
If you are already fluent or speak some of the second language to which you have been assigned, and you have not spoken to someone at the MTC, please call 801-422-2602 and ask for the Training Department receptionist.
Why do I keep receiving emails about my immunizations?
How should I arrange travel to the MTC?
Booking Your Flight
Please refer to your call packet or the Missionary Portal.
For further information or assistance, please contact Church Travel directly at 1-800-537-3537.
- You are expected to pay for your luggage when flying to the Provo MTC. Each airline determines the fees charged for luggage. International flights cost approximately $100 USD; domestic flights cost approximately $60 USD. Itineraries with multiple airlines may cost more.
- Standard expectations are two standard suitcases (up to 62 inches each) up to 50 pounds each.
- Carry-ons vary from airline to airline and usually can weigh up to 35 pounds and must be under 45 inches total. There is usually no charge for the carry-on.
- Sometimes a carry-on and one personal item are permitted. A purse is usually considered a personal item. Depending on the airline, a book bag can be considered a personal item.
Traveling From the Airport
- You may come with a relative or friend.
- Missionaries coming from outside the United States and Canada should contact their area travel office regarding transportation from the airport to the MTC.
- Missionaries coming from the United States or Canada, who did not make arrangements to ride with a relative or friend, should make their own arrangements with a shuttle company at the airport.
When and where should I report?
The Provo Missionary Training center is located at 2005 North 900 East, Provo, Utah 84602-1793. (This address is different from your MTC mailing address.)
- If you are driving to Provo from the north, take I-15 exit 269
- If you are driving to Provo from the south, take I-15 exit 263
- If you need assistance, please call 801-422-2602
Please note the following:
- Arrival times are divided alphabetically by the first letter of your last name. It is very important that you come at your scheduled time.
- If you must fly in earlier in order to make your arrival time, you may arrive the day before.
- Missionaries assigned to arrive on Tuesday should arrive no later than Tuesday evening.
- If you will be traveling to the MTC by shuttle from the airport, please come immediately after your flight. Do not wait until your scheduled arrival time.
- If you will be late, please call 801-422-2602.
- Because of the large number fo new missionaries arriving in a short time on your scheduled arrival date, only one vehicle per missionary family will be able to enter the MTC grounds to drop you off.
- The vehicle you arrive in should contain yourself, your luggage, and a few members of your immediate family.
- Other family members and friends will not be able to drive in or walk on to the MTC campus.
- Please have your farewell activities with family and friends prior to your arrival at the MTC.
- Please keep farewells short so that we can accommodate all new missionaries arriving at the MTC.
Can I be set apart at the MTC?
Your setting apart as a missionary is under the direction of your stake president, or in the cases of districts, the mission president (Handbook 1, 4.3.8). It is intended that you are set apart by your stake president before you arrive at the MTC.
In the unusual circumstance that it is not possible to be set apart before arriving at the MTC, your stake president may call the MTC at 801-422-2602 (Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm Mountain Time) to determine if it would be appropriate to arrange for you to be set apart by a member of the MTC Presidency. Missionaries or their families cannot make this request.
May I have visitors at the MTC?
Your schedule will not allow time for visits from family or friends.
- Advise your family not to request visits because such visits would distract you and your companion from your training. This includes arranging visits at or near the Provo Utah Temple, the MTC, or any neighboring facilities.
- Church leaders have asked that missionaries not be excused from the MTC to attend funerals, marriages, farewells, baptisms, or other family activities.
- Missionaries may communicate with their families on their weekly preparation day and other special occasions. More information can be found here.
When will I receive travel plans to my assigned mission?
Church Travel will handle arrangements for your travel to your mission. We strongly recommend you follow all travel instructions found in your call packet. They are also accessible on the Missionary Portal.
- Church Travel will give you official passport and visa instructions. You must follow these instructions carefully.
- You may be requested to send certain documents required for a visa. If you do not submit these documents by the requested date, your departure to the field may be delayed.
You will receive your itinerary (for travel to your mission) and related instructions on or before your last preparation day.
Your departure may be delayed because visas to certain countries are difficult to obtain.
You will pay for your luggage when going to the mission. Please keep your receipt so you can be reimbursed when you arrive. Each airline determines the fees charged for luggage. International flights cost approximately $100 USD; domestic flights cost approximately $60 USD. Itineraries with multiple airlines may cost more.
Information for Family and Friends
How can I communicate with my missionary (phone calls, mail, packages, etc.)?
Missionaries may communicate with their families on their weekly preparation day and other special occasions. More information can be found here.
- Preparation day could be any day of the week (Monday through Saturday), beginning on your missionary's first full week at the MTC. Only your missionary may share this information with you.
- An MTC mailing address will be emailed to your missionary on the Friday before entering the MTC. It will be sent to their Church-provided email account, which can be accessed through the Missionary Portal.
Missionaries may also communicate with family from the airport when traveling to their mission. The MTC Store sells an inexpensive phone card which missionaries may purchase if they desire.
Please do not request visits. Such visits would distract your missionary and his/her companion from their training. This includes arranging visits at or near the Provo Utah Temple, the MTC, or any neighboring facilities. Church leaders have asked that missionaries not be excused from the MTC to attend funerals, marriages, farewells, baptisms, or other family activities.
Any packages or letters for missionaries must be sent through the US Postal Service, UPS, or other commercial carriers. Approved same day delivery services are available in cities close to the MTC.
- The MTC cannot accept packages or other items delivered any other way.
- Mail to you should be addressed with your full name and mission assignment.
- At no time are you permitted to receive perishable food items such as pizza, restaurant food, or frozen treats.
When is my missionary leaving the MTC?
A tentative departure date is included in your missionary's MTC mailing address.
Missionaries are notified of specific travel plans (from the MTC to the mission) on or before their last preparation day. They are encouraged to forward this information to their family. Only your missionary may share this information with you.
Church leaders and security offices request that missionaries not have visitors at the airport or MTC when departing for their missions.